DIY farmhouse table top

Hi all!
I have my farmhouse table top to share with YOU today! I'm super excited with how this project turned out, AND I can't wait for you to SEE!
Items I used to build my farmhouse table top:
2x8 boards from LOWES
Dark walnut minwax stain
Satin finish polyurethane
Brushes for the stain and polyurethane
Kreg jig & kreg jig screws
Sander with fine and medium grit sand paper
First I figured out how big I wanted my new table top to be.
Then I took my measurements with me to LOWES and got 2x8 boards cut to fit (LOWES did all the cutting for me, how AWESOME, right?!?).
Once home I gave everything a good sanding.
Then I laid out all the boards to see what the table top would look like.
Next I used my kreg jig with kreg jig screws to attach all my boards together.
 All of the screws are on the under side of the table so that they are hidden.
This is the step we are on....everything is attached together with kreg jig screws on the underside.
Next I gave everything a good sanding with medium grit sand paper.

Next I filled all the seams on the table with this stainable wood filler I got at LOWES. I just put it in the seams and then smoothed it out with my finger. I had a wet paper towel with me so I could wipe my hands  while I did this step. I ended up using 2 and a half tubes of this wood filler for my table top. 

I followed the drying directions on the back of the package. 
NEXT...  
Then I stained the top with Minwax dark walnut stain. I LOVE this stain color! 
After the stain was dry I put 4 coats of a satin finish polyurethane on top and sanding in between layers with a fine grit sand paper (this step took a LONG time because I had to let everything dry in between coats).
Here is my kitchen before with my DIY chalkboard and chalk holder that I built earlier this summer. You can find it on my blog under WOOD CRAFTS on the right side of the page.




And LASTLY I attached my NEW farmhouse table top to my existing table base.

Aren't my IKEA plants so CUTE here?! And I made the planter box (that the plants are in) out of wood scraps years ago! Look on pinterest and you will find a TON of tutorials on how to make yourself one!

I got these metal chairs from Target a year or two ago and they still have them (I just checked). I really like the look of these metal chairs and what they add to my kitchen. :)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how this project turned out!

Happy crafting!

Comments